The European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization, hereafter named CENELEC and
The Council for Harmonization of Electrotechnical Standards of the Nations of the Americas, hereafter named CANENA
Agree to establish a formal liaison between both organizations in order to exchange regular views on standardization and conformity
assessment issues in order to improve the understanding of their respective systems and hopefully
remove any barriers to trade arising from these issues.
To this end:
- They will invite representatives of the respective organizations to their General Meetings as observers;
- They will organize informal liaison meetings on a regular basis;
- to discuss possible problems in the standardization area,
- to discuss new incentives from the regulatory area influencing the standardization work,
- to discuss their respective conformity assessment systems in order to come possibly to a convergence.
Meetings between CENELEC and CANENA will normally be hosted alternatively by CENELEC and CANENA.
Implementation of the Agreement
The agreement was signed in Helsinki on 3 June 2003. Signing for CENELEC AISBL was CENELEC President, Dr. U. Spindler.
Signing for CANENA was CANENA President, Mr. A. J. Flood.